Every year, the Bronx Opioid Collective hosts an annual Bronx Opioid Community Summit to convene leading healthcare service providers in order to discuss outcomes, progress, and highlights, and to establish best practices and outline steps.
Major Outcomes: Year 2 (2019/2020):
- The Bronx Opioid Collective’s Outreach events during fiscal year 2019-2020 generated over 130,000 interactions;
- Approximately 74,000 syringes were distributed during outreach events. Meanwhile, close to 12,000 used syringes were picked up;
- More than 9,500 meals were distributed;
- Close to 600 Narcan training sessions were provided;
- Close to 32,000 Harm Reduction Items and Accessories distributed, including Safe Injection Accessories, Fentanyl Kits, Safe Smoking Pipes, Sniff Kits, Wound Kits, and Survival Bags.
In addition, the Bronx Opioid Collective:
- Has successfully identified and convened a multi-sectoral working group that meets bi-weekly to address the opioid epidemic in the Bronx;
- Rolled out a pilot project at the Third Avenue HUB (146th Street and College Avenue) to test and learn what can be done when working collectively;
- A second pilot project began in late March (2020) in St. Mary’s to expand our outreach efforts;
- During the last year, we have increased Peer involvement, outreach events and activities for the community and strengthened collaborations with CBOs;
- Received support and donations of 200 coats that were distributed to the community from New York Cares Coat Drive, as well as a donation of 25,000 face coverings from the Department of Health and Human Services to support our outreach efforts and keep the community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Partnered with family planning to provide Narcan training to shelter staff;
- In collaboration with the HUB 3rd Avenue BID, peers and staff went through a series of trainings to enhance their knowledge on harm reduction, customer service, effective communication skills and administering naloxone.